Consider a donation that will help the poor in Nicaragua for life
Planned giving is a great way to maximize your donation. It is a means that allows for sustained funding indefinitely for the people of Nicaragua. Within the Planned Giving Program, contributions in any amount over $25 can be made in a number of ways: a donation, a bequest through a will or naming the Roots of Change Foundation as a benefactor of a life insurance policy. The program also has provisions to accept common shares of registered Canadian companies. Tax benefits differ with each type of donation.
Contributions are invested in ‘named funds’ that are held and administered by the Edmonton Community Foundation. Proceeds from these funds provide yearly income for the Roots of Change Foundation while a portion is reinvested back into the Fund. These investments grow in perpetuity and are an excellent way to capitalize on your donation.
Today, 12% of the Foundations annual budget for ‘Ongoing Programs’ in Nicaragua are funded from the proceeds of investments made by donors who wanted to get the most out of their donated dollar.
In 2011 the Roots of Change Planned Giving Program was established with one fund The Roots of Change Fund as an umbrella fund. Today, there are eight separate endowment funds, each of which are going to support specific areas of our charitable objectives.
- Roots of Change Fund – General purpose and poverty relief
- John and Pauline Koroluk Memorial Fund – Agricultural projects
- Father Denis Hebert Fund – Projects of greatest need
- Sacred Fund – Education programs
- FUNDACCO Fund for Higher Education – Post secondary scholarships
- Father Michael Blanch Fund – Projects of greatest need
- Eugene and Daria Malo Fund – Emergency and disaster relief programs
- Peter and Laura Smith Memorial Fund – Projects of greatest need
For information on the goals of donors who created these funds, please contact us.
Edmonton Community Foundation
The Edmonton Community Foundation (ECF) is a registered charitable organization established in 1989 to support community charities in their endowment building and donor services; the ECF program offers a guaranteed rate of return on investments.